Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What the Wiki are you doing????

Earlier in this school year, I started blogging with my students. I am excited and proud to say that it has been a complete success. Just today, I assigned the 15th blog of this school year to my class. Assigned is a strong word, as they truly have enjoyed them. As a matter of fact, when I don't assign a blog, I am sometimes met with grunts of displeasure that most teachers would associate with giving too much homework!

A few months ago, I had investigated using a wiki and incorporating it into my digital classroom. My students had used a wiki with Karen Kliegman and Noel Forte in our fourth grade research program, so I know they could navigate through and use one. My big challenge was the same challenge that I always faced: How does this technology fit into the curriculum. If you have read many of my previous technology blogs (does anyone really read my ramblings?), you know how I don't like using technology strictly for the sake of using technology. I'm not one of those people that wear a bright t shirt that says "Look at what technology I use in my classroom!", but I am a strong advocate of technology as an educational resource. So my dilemma was to find out where wikis would best serve the needs of my curriculum, the needs of my students and my comfort level as an educator (time investment mostly).

While in class the other evening, a professor was speaking about wikis in a different context, and it hit me. Something simple, but it just might work. I don't expect miracles, as this is late in the year and it is more of a beta test.

I added a "We're Wondering" section to the wiki. Throughout the year, my class would come up with interesting questions related to what we were exploring, and I would offer "That's a great question to look into for independent research!" Using mostly the Internet as a resource, the student, either by themselves or with my assistance, would look into the question and we would tell the class our findings. Why not capture that information digitally to build a sort of knowledge base!

That's what I did. I set it up, and I showed it to my students today. They were very interested. Each received a username and password, and some have already posted information and questions. We're off and running! I'll post updates after I see how it goes, but I am very optimistic.

No comments: