Monday, June 23, 2008

Blogging Creates Real Dialogue

Back in November, my fourth grade class blogged about a great author named Robert Kimmel Smith. We had been reading his books (three of them), enjoying them very much, studying the craft of his writing and working hard to improve our own writing pieces. I decided to email him to tell him all that we were doing and how much he inspired us, and then I sent him our Classblogmeister URL. To my incredible surprise, he not only wrote me back but he also dropped by our blog and left some comments!!!

He wrote that he might be persuaded to come visit us on a sunny day in June. Fast forward a few months and several email correspondences later, and on a not so sunny day in June he did arrive. Once again, I was as excited as my class. I could barely sleep last night. He spoke about his life, about his writing and about writing in general. We presented him with a "Golden Inspiration Award" about how much he has inspired us with his writing and provided enjoyment with his reading.

He is truly inspirational, and if you would have seen me today you would have thought that I just shook hands with Derek Jeter and Hideki Matsui.

What is the point? Well, the point is that the connections that we can make online can lead to friendships, admiration and respect. I feel blessed to have played a role in this connection.


This is a REAL picture - no Photoshop here!

1 comment:

Karen Kliegman said...

Hey Adam,
I just added your excellent article to my Library Web 2.0 Summer Institute Presentation...such a great example of why blogging is valuable other than as a vehicle for sharing tools and opinions. Keep on writing, because I will ask my students to subscribe to your blog. You have a voice that is worth listening to. So, don't let me down!!