Sunday, May 24, 2009

Blogging Breeds Web Developing Skills

As my students are using classblogmeister (created by David Warlick), I am noticing an additional side benefit. No... this has nothing to do with a digital voice that transcends the classroom. No, it is not technology as a positive force of communication. This is something new and unexpected. My students are becoming web developers! While they might not be creating html and server side scripts, they are learning about how to change the look of text on the web and the purposes of doing so.


It all started earlier this year, when one of my students started playing with the "graphical style" text editor that David rolled out this year. Instead of simple text input for their entries, students are greeted with a familiar MS Word-ish interface with font faces, styles, weight, sizes, alignments etc. I remember seeing the first student use a different color. It became the talk of the class. Soon thereafter texts became larger, smaller and brighter and duller. Smileys invaded blogs, but it was used in the interest of personalization. I told my kids that as long as it was 'readable', meaning bright yellow was out, I was okay with it.


About a month ago, a girl in my class changed the text face color, but this time it was in a specific way and for a specific reason. She made the text white. Why, you might ask? She did this because white text with a white background means invisible text. She left a note to the reader to "Scroll over with your cursor slowely to see the hidden message below." Genius!


Soon, news of this new feature spread. Who's side would I be on the French and Indian War? Scroll over to see! Matching text color to background color! I do the same thing in hiding things on my SMARTboard, but here 9 and 10 year olds are doing the same with excitement! Is this cool or what? Yes, it is! It sure is!


And then? One of my kids the other day, in a blog letter to King George, wrote the following:





By putting something as simple as a "strikethrough", one of my students was able to voice his opinion on King George without even writing it! I was very excited to see this kind of thinking. It wouldn't be possible without technology. I often hear that 'words on a screen' lack emotion without the physical traits of the speaker's voice and actions (emoticons aside), so is this a good way to overcome this alleged shortcoming?
What's next??? I don't know! ;-)

No comments: