Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Connections: text to self, text to text, text to world, class to self

My class has been exploring the characteristics of good reading. One of the things we learn that good readers do is make connections to literature to make what they are reading more meaningful, more relevant and to enhance comprehension.
When I think about what is the best about teaching, the connection with the students is one of the first that comes to my mind. We spend so much of the day with them, and we become partners in what we learn, explore and share. We model for learning academic skills, acceptable behavior and social interaction. It is the connection with the classroom and my students that makes teaching truly fulfilling.
I am also lucky enough to keep in touch with some of my students after they leave me. I do see my kids when they are in 5th grade, but now as my former classes get older, they move into middle and high school.
One rather touching moment was my birthday. I received a few emails and cards from students that had moved on from the walls of room 25. That really touched me. I am honored to played a role in their lives, and I thank them most graciously for doing the same for me.

Cheers.

No comments: