Saturday, November 10, 2007

Student Originated Literature Blog Part 2

In a a recent article, I mentioned that a student had presented a recommendation for a blog article. I ended up using that recommendation as a blog assignment with minimal modifications.
My students (and I myself) are big fans of the author, Mr. Robert Kimmel Smith. I assigned the blog, and then I put the assignment up on our classroomblogmeister site (thanks David Warlick for the excellent site!)
When putting up the assignment, I wanted to put up a picture of Robert Kimmel Smith, but I didn't want to do it without permission. I went to his web site, and I sent him an email. I told him how we have been enjoying his literature, how we have been using it in our writing, how one of my students had constructed a blog assignment and how I would love to use his picture on our blog site. He wrote back and commented on how impressed he was with how students are using technology. He gave the picture his blessing and recounted some quick connections to himself growing up. I must say that his sense of humor is even apparent in quick emails!
When I told my class that Robert Kimmel Smith had read out blog site, they were ecstatic! One of my other students emailed him herself and invited him to our classroom (he had mentioned that it might happen - fingers crossed!). She also mentioned her blog to him. Just yesterday I check comments on the blog and there it is! He commented on her blog article! What a great guy. Unfortunately, it will have to wait until Tuesday to mention to my students (Monday is Veteran's Day). I just thought it was very nice of him to do that. Technology and student created learning has just created an interesting connection to the literature that we are exploring. Now the books are more than just paper and words (as it truly should be!)

2 comments:

Angela said...

I really found the blog about the Robert Kimmel Smith astounding, interesting, and exciting. I’m so glad that he responded to you, but even happier that he found the time to respond to one of your students. How wonderful that is. I’m also quite happy that you are able to use the tools provided by the likes of David Warlick in your own classroom and that your students have been able to experience something so unlike what most students have experienced in the past. I only hope that other teachers reach out to experts in the field – and that the experts are as gracious with their time.

Adam Dugger said...

Thank you Angela.

I like to think that educators are constantly on the look out for innovative and creative methods of making learning a personal venture for our students. David Warlick certainly is one of those people that helped to open my eyes to new possibilities.
Some might say that my thinking is idealistic, but I do think that teachers are much more open minded than many other professions due to the fact that our classrooms are so dynamic... forget day to day.. they can change hour by hour or minute by minute! As such, we are always looking for something to engage students and make their learning experiences more robust.

I am still floored that Mr. Smith wrote back. He is truly an inspiration to my students and to myself.