Wednesday, August 20, 2008

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!





If you have ever seen the Staples commercial with the parents celebrating their children's return to school, you know the significance of this song. My very own dear mother used to tell everyone that she was "hanging out the flag." I can't recall whether or not she actually did it, but for some reason I do recall Old Glory fanning in the breeze on one or two September mornings.

As I prepare myself mentally and curriculumly (can I make that a word?) for the arrival of 26 new faces eager to explore, I have to wonder how things will go? Will blogging be a success like it was last year? Will I be able to explore multimedia with this class like last year? Will we Skype! with another class? I bought a brand new web cam for us! Dare I ask if I can go farther technology-wise with them? I don't know, but I certainly hope so.

I have a little less than 2 weeks left to go, and even though I am sad to see the summer end, I did enjoy it. I spent a great deal of time with my family and working on (and finishing up!) some projects. I read some good books, and I bought a bicycle that I have been riding early in the morning while the air is crisp.

Having said that, the first day of school holds so much excitement and hope for me. My mom tells me that I was the same way as a student; barely getting any sleep the night before and waking up way early to start what might be a wonderful day. I'm not saying that I won't feel like I need another vacation in the middle of September, but I am saying that this year can be anything. We can explore anything and create anything that is possible as a class, and I look forward to the possibilities as much as the realities.

Now where did I put that flag......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote a column about this Most Wonderful Time of the Year that might give you a laugh! Read it at www.jackiepapandrew.blogspot.com

Adam Dugger said...

Jackie,
That was hysterical! Your motives were pure and noble no matter what the outcome! Your writing is wonderfully descriptive and funny. Thanks for the link, as I very much enjoyed it. It was great to see it from the parent's (much like my own mom's) point of view.

I tried to comment on your page, but I couldn't find it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Adam! I think my comments are back up now, it was apparently a technical glitch (which really means user (me) error)...