Monday, October 22, 2007

How Has Technology Changed Our Lives?

That is the question that I posed today to my students. As a result of an online conversation I had with several educators regarding a GLEF story, I started to ponder the question myself.
It was a story (from 2001) where veteran teachers were essentially taught new technologies by elementary school teachers. I understand how those students are being empowered and are interacting socially and almost professionally on a higher level. I love how teachers are getting more familiar with technology in an informal setting. I just don't understand how it fits into our curriculum, as I believe that technology should be an extension of what is in the classroom (or another way to present the material for learning, assessment tool etc), but it should have some relationship to a content area.
Still thinking hard about it, I decided to assign this question to my students for this week's blog assignment. We had them brainstorm technologies that we use in our lives, and they came up with several.
Here are the questions that they will be blogging about:
1) Is technology important to you? Why or why not? Use specific details to prove
your opinion.
2) Do you consider yourself very good or close to an expert at
one piece of technology? What is it?
3) What part of technology do you hope
to learn about this year?
4) Is there any part of technology that you would
like to see used in schools someday?
Let's see how they do. Perhaps we can learn from our students... we shall see.

No comments: