Monday, October 8, 2007

Who, ME? SKEERED? NO WAY!

So many people speak about teachers fearing new technologies. I hear all the time how educators get into a groove and refuse to accept anything new. That is a crock. Sure, there are some teachers that are fearful (or perhaps cautiously critical) of the latest resource or media for student learning, but I'd like to think that it is because they know themselves as professional educators, and they don't want to mess with what works by taking a risk on something that might not. On the other hand, teachers must be free to 'make mistakes' with emerging technologies so that they can continue to grow and polish their craft. Add into the mix that we are dealing with dynamic, ever-changing customers (our students) and you can only imagine the challenge if you are out of the educational system.
Back to the fear. I say "I AIN'T SKEERED!" Technology does not scare or intimidate me in any way. I enjoy the challenge of a new software application or piece of hardware and learning its use. I like to 'play' with it, and I think that is something that teachers must be free to do. Of course, life does have a habit of getting in the way. Between work responsibilities, home and family responsibilities, and now T.E.A.M responsibilities, not to mention some time for yourself in all of this (it's a wonder I have time to do this blog!), having the time to invest is something that is very difficult to come by. I love to watch my students "play" with technology. Watching them using a computer to search out a video on crayfish, using the SMARTboard to splat their multiplication facts or even watching them writing comments to each other on the class blog... it is just awesome. They don't need to embrace the technology - their world has always had it.
My fear, or apprehension, comes from this. Once the technology is understood, it must be assessed. It must be examined to find what part of the curriculum it lends itself to. It must be analyzed and dissected so that each competency can be taught. Technology is often considered thematic; an extension to another subject area, but it can easily be its own entity.
I often find something great- whether from a colleague, professor, administrator etc. and think "Wow this is awesome! The kids will love it!" The problem is "How does it fit into my (our collective) curriculum?" That is the fear. We all know reading, writing and math are the cornerstones of education. Where does that new technology fit in? Does it have to fit in?
Deep thoughts with Dugger.... talk amongst yourselves...

3 comments:

Karen Kliegman said...

Love your lil flashy!
In reference to your article - by the way, I am not skeered either - well, maybe once in a while when it comes to video :) --have a look at Jamie McKenzie's article about digital immigrants vs. digital natives at http://fno.org/nov07/nativism.html

Mr. C said...

I'll agree with Karen. I'm not "Skeered" either. We all need to remember that technology does not come easy to all of us though. For some people technology is not only scary but its also a challenging hurdle to get acquainted with. Whether we're talking about our students or our co-workers, we must remember that peoples technology skills will always vary.

Adam Dugger said...

Right Richard. It can be very challenging, and I totally understand that. New things are always intimidating and difficult to become familiar with. I was trying to show that although many people think that teachers are "rigid", but that is not the case for so many. I think that teachers on the whole know that our changing classroom population is representative of the ever changing world, and that our instructional methods and resources must be flexible to evolve (I don't want to say the word change) to best serve them.

It is more important (IMO) to possess that quality than all of the technical competencies in the world today.