Monday, October 29, 2007

Technology Breeds Global Awareness?


Ordinarily I would not enter a blog posting not even one day after the previous one, but this one seems to be justified.
After I told my class what their new blog assignment was, one of them asked to see how our cluster map was doing. They were impressed at the visitors from around the globe, but they pointed out (as they have before) that the only continent without visitors (besides Antarctica) is Africa.
Shortly thereafter, one of my students walked up to me and said that he had an idea on how to get our blog read by people in Africa. I told him to write his idea down on paper, and I would look at it before lunch.
To my surprise, the paper said that our class should blog about what is happening to children in Darfur. He explained that this would get people from Africa to read out blog.
Picture me standing there speechless. Part of me was impressed that this student knew about the situation there. Part of me wondered how he knew; whether it was from his own research, dialogue within the family or if he saw it on the news (either by himself or with his family). Regardless of how he came to be aware of Darfur, he used technology as a device to connect the class to a real world issue. I asked him if perhaps he would like to do the blog article as a special project just for him (as I am not sure if all of my students would be able to understand what is happening there) and he replied that he would rather the entire class do it.
Here I sit still in awe of this. I wish I could take credit for him thinking this way, but I really can't. Sure, I like to think that I offer a learning setting that students are free to express their ideas and sure, the blog is a way to express those ideas in a fun and exciting setting, but this.... this is way beyond me. I like to think that I facilitated it (there is something that you hear from educational theorists, that teachers should play the facilitator role more than the depositor of information), and encourgaged him to bring this idea to light.
If a 9 year-old can do this, imagine what a 12 year-old or even a high school senior could come up with if given the empowerment, time and creative outlet? It truly is a wonderful time to be an educator. The world of tomorrow won't simply say that technology is a great way to accomplish these goals... it will demand it.

No comments: